Monday, October 24, 2011

Clean Up on Aisle 7!

Repentance & Psalm 51, pt 4
Hyssop was used in the Passover to sprinkle blood in the cross-shaped pattern above and on each side of the doorway of the homes of the Israelites. It was also used in the ceremony for a leper who had recovered
from his disease. Perhaps these things were in mind when David prayed in verse 7: "Purify me with hyssop and I shall be clean; wash me and I shall be whiter than snow."

I believe was really sweating it out as he prayed this entire Psalm. In verse 8, he describes himself as having broken bones - crushed by the holiness of God. I don't think he was entirely sure God would forgive Him for what He had done. I do believe He was absolutely convinced there was no hope but to throw Himself on the mercy of God - a mercy He had experienced from a God whom He knew and loved intimately in times past. He knew if God was willing, he would be truly cleansed, and once again know joy and gladness in His relationship with God. There may be times we feel the same way - our heart is as filthy and hideous as the infected wounds of the leper; we're crushed by the guilt of our sin. But, we have something even David didn't. We have the ultimate sacrifice. We can come to the Father as one already healed, saved, by the shed blood of the Passover Lamb on the cross of Calvary. There is no doubt, no room for dispute. I shall be clean. It is accomplished, and it applies to me. I need only to turn to Him (repent, change direction), receive His cleansing, rest in it, and experience joy and gladness in fellowship with Him.

David's sin was "ever before him." He'd done what was evil "in God's sight." His only hope was in God's willingness to stop looking at his sin. Only if God was willing to turn away and leave David's sin behind was there any hope of David being able to do so as well. So, he prayed, "hide Your face from my sin." Whether David fully experienced this freedom in his life, we are not told. However, the fulfillment of His prayer came on the cross as God hid His face from our sins and Jesus cried out, "My God! My God! Why have You forsaken me?"

How awesome is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment