Friday, March 25, 2011

Sabbath Rest, pt. 1

The Greek word most often translated "labor" in the New Testament carries the idea of a wearisome struggle, a tiresome effort.  It appears frequently.  Paul proclaims: "and for this purpose I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me." He says, "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I but the grace of God with me." The list goes on: verses that tell us we labor; but we don't; God does. However, there's one verse about labor that seems to be an exception to that pattern. There's one challenge to labor that is not qualified by saying it is in fact God's grace, or God's power that actually enables the work.  Hebrews 4:11 challenges us to "labor to enter that rest." We are exhorted to labor (to the point of wearisome struggle) to rest.

This is perhaps the most difficult challenge facing the contemporary Christian. Our culture, perhaps more than any in history, demands action. The humanistic influences of this age say whatever we do, we're doing in our own human power and ability. So we're urged to work hard, be all we can be, do all we can do, by the power within us as humans - our own power. We repel at the idea of not pouring all our strength into achieving our goals.

Yet scripture tells us to strive in His strength. This is hard for us. It takes significant effort not to do all we can do and let God do the rest. We are called to let Him be all! This is a struggle. But it is the only legitimate struggle for the Christian! If you are struggling with finances, your spouse, your teenager (or toddler), your job (even ministry), the drivers who are hogging the highway, with illness, with temptation, with being "Christian," or anything else - you are not resting.

Yes, we need self-discipline. We need to take action and not just sit around waiting for good things to happen. But there is a huge difference in deifying man and saying the power within is our own human strength, and ceasing from your own efforts and entering His rest. The difference is the other verses on labor - I labor, but by God's grace and power working in and through me. And there the difference is: I find peace, I rest, I don't burnout, I don't struggle with life's issues.

When I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in a lymph gland in my neck, I realized that if all the things I'd learned, shared with others and put in my book were true, it was time to live them - put up, or shut up.  It would be a time like no other in my life to apply these truths. It was determined the cancer had started in my tonsils. So, after a tonsillectomy, I began radiation and chemo, followed by another surgery to remove the tattered remains of several lymph glands. Even without the surgeries, the very nature of cancer treatment makes it hard not to focus on how your body feels. You are constantly physically fatigued as your body uses all its energy to not only fight the disease, but to recover from the treatment. It's hard not to struggle with it - to rest and not be discouraged. I found that when I applied these truths, I felt better and recovered more quickly. The doctors described my progress as "remarkable." What's remarkable is the power of God's word when combined with faith.

Now, how you rest is the topic for more than one blog post. In fact, it's one of those principles I mentioned in an earlier post that is interwoven with others - knowing Him, faith, giving thanks. But understanding the principle of rest is a beginning place, and that's what my next couple or few blogs will deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment